Life-saving information in cervical cancer

Cervical cancer, one of the most common cancers in the world, affects more than half a million women every year, and about half of these women die due to late diagnosis. However, since cervical cancer is a preventable cancer, early diagnosis is of great importance in this regard. In cooperation with Sarıyer District Health Directorate and Acıbadem Maslak Hospital, a seminar was held on Thursday, January 18, 2017 at Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Bağlar Cultural Center to increase early diagnosis in cervical cancer. Public Education Centers, İsmek’s, headmen, students and educators of Sarıyer Hüseyin Kalkavan Vocational and Technical Anatolian High School and many citizens attended the seminar.

Solving cervical cancer in women: screening and HPV vaccines

Sarıyer District Health Director Dr. In her opening speech, Nilüfer Ataoğlu stated that cervical cancer ranks first among women’s cancers and that early diagnosis is vital for women’s health. Within the scope of the cancer screening program of the Ministry of Health; He emphasized that cervical cancer screening service is provided free of charge to our women aged 30-65 in all Family Health Centers.

Acıbadem Maslak Hospital Gynecological Oncology – Gynecology and Obstetrics Specialist, who participated in the seminar as a specialist speaker, Prof. Dr. Mete Güngör pointed out that cervical cancer, which threatens the lives of many women, is preventable.

Attention to the first sexual intercourse!

prof. Dr. Mete Gungor, In his speech, he gave striking information about cervical cancer. He emphasized that the disease was caused by the sexually transmitted HPV virus, and emphasized the importance of raising awareness, especially among young people. He stated that the rate of transmission of the virus after the first sexual intercourse varies between 30-50 percent, and the age at which HPV infection is most common in women is 24. Noting that not everyone with HPV infection has cervical cancer, Prof. Dr. Mete Güngör said, “The immune system of our body clears 90 percent of the virus within two years. The remaining 10 percent remains in our body. The HPV virus may not cause any disease as long as it remains in our body. However, some of them can cause pre-cancerous lesions, and some of these lesions can turn into cervical cancer in about 15-20 years.

Immune therapy successful in cervical cancer

Vaccination should be done at an early age

The most common cancer-causing types of HPV virus, HPV 16 and 18, are responsible for 70-75 percent of cervical cancer. Therefore, vaccines developed for these types provide protection against the disease. These vaccines, especially given at an early age between 9 and 26, greatly reduce the risk of developing cancer throughout life. In addition, noting that the current vaccines used have been further developed in the last two years, Prof. Dr. Mete Güngör said, “The protection rate was increased from 70 percent to 93 percent by adding five more types to these two cancer-causing HPV types. This vaccine, which is used in developed countries, is expected to arrive in our country next year,” he said.

Screening tests save lives

In the seminar, it was emphasized that screening methods should not be neglected, even if vaccination is done in cervical cancer. It was stated that most of the women with cervical cancer have not had any screening in the last 10 years, that there is a 15-20-year long process in the formation of cancer, and that the disease can be recognized and treated at an early stage with screening programs. Informing the participants about the screening methods, Prof. Dr. Mete Güngör continued his words as follows: “The most accepted method among the different scanning methods used in the world; Having a smear test every three years after the age of 20. The smear test can be used together with the HPV test after the age of 30 (Co-test). Thus, screening intervals can be done every five years, and unnecessary procedures are prevented, as it reduces the possibility of errors in the conventional smear test.”

Spiral prevents cervical cancer

Ministry of Health National Cancer Screening Program After 30 years of age cervical cancer screening test every five years says that it needs to be done and the service in question Free at Family Health Centers is given as.

DO YOU HAVE A COMMENT?

guest



0 Comments

Inline Feedbacks
See all reviews

Hi, I'm Alex Huynh, an expert in the field of mesothelioma. I have worked in this field for more than 10 years. With my experience and knowledge in this field, I decided to set up a website mesothelioma media to help people treat mesothelioma.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Mesothelioma Media
Logo