Annual PSA test against prostate cancer saves lives
A 1-minute examination and blood test is sufficient for prostate control.
Prostate cancer, the second most common type of cancer in men, is known as one of the leading causes of cancer-related deaths. The ‘Prostate Cancer Society’, which was established to draw attention to the importance of early diagnosis in prostate cancer and to raise awareness of the society and to guide patients, gave important warnings for early diagnosis on ‘February 4 World Cancer Day.
Prostate Cancer Association General Secretary Assoc. Dr. Ahmet Tunç Özdemir drew attention to the fact that individual precautions and awareness are insufficient despite the improved diagnosis and treatment methods in recent years. Assoc. Dr. Ahmet Tunc Ozdemir; He gave the following information: ‘Prostate cancer is a disease that can be diagnosed early, with the advantages of early diagnosis, and thanks to the new and modern treatment methods that have developed, while cancer is treated, it is a disease that has a high chance of getting rid of cancer before it develops loss of function. Today, serum PSA and 1-minute rectal prostate examination, which are routinely applied to men all over the world, enable early stage tumors to be detected, while providing a significant decrease in prostate cancer-related deaths. Unfortunately, there are still delays in applying to the doctor due to social reservations and concerns about loss of function in our country, and this causes the advantages of early diagnosis and modern treatment methods to be lost. ‘
Diagnosis is much easier with ‘smart biopsy’ method MR TRUS Fusion in prostate cancer
Stating that basic PSA screening should be started from the age of forty, Prostate Cancer Association General Secretary Assoc. Dr. Ahmet Tunc Ozdemir; ‘All men over the age of forty should have a prostate examination once a year, together with a PSA test in the blood. In addition, knowing the possible risk factors and symptoms provides great convenience for early diagnosis. In this sense, it should not be forgotten that the first step of success in early stage and treatment is to be conscious and knowledgeable.
Dr. In addition to the information he provided, Özdemir underlines that the online tests that people can do on their own at www.prostatkanseridernegi.org are a determining factor in determining their need to consult a doctor. In terms of risk factors and symptoms, he draws attention to the following points;
- The risk group of those with a family history of prostate cancer, especially in first degree relatives, is quite high.
- The risk of developing prostate cancer increases with age.
- Hormonal effects, excess testosterone promote hormone-dependent prostate cancer.
- It is thought that a diet rich in red meat and saturated fat and obesity are associated with prostate cancer.
- Difficulty starting or inability to urinate
- Small and intermittent urination
Prostate cancer symptoms, early diagnosis and new treatment options
- The need to urinate frequently at night
- Difficulty and pain in erection,
- Blood in the urine or semen,
- If even one of the symptoms such as pain in the back, hips or upper thighs or difficulty in movement is observed, a doctor should be consulted immediately.