80% of breast cancer is due to genetic causes
As in the whole world, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in women in Turkey. The best way to prevent breast cancer is early detection. Emphasizing the importance of early diagnosis in breast cancer treatment, General Surgery Specialist Assoc. Dr. Bahadır Ege talks about the causes and diagnosis of breast cancer. The vast majority (80-90%) of breast cancer develops independently of family and genetic transmission.
breast cancer The risk factors are as follows;
- Having never given birth or having the age at first birth after 30.
- Having relatives such as mother or aunt with breast cancer in the family.
- Menstruating at an early age, entering menopause at a late age.
- Carrier of breast cancer genes such as BRCA1 and BRCA2.
- Cancers associated with breast cancer in his family; having ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, and colon cancer.
Breast self-exam is important in early diagnosis.
Prevention or early detection of breast cancer can be done successfully with some simple measures and practices. These measures are:
- Annual clinical breast examination, annual mammography and ultrasonography screenings from the age of 40 are very important in the early diagnosis of breast cancer.
- A proper and healthy diet
- get rid of excess weight
- do regular exercise
- Reducing cigarette consumption
- Breastfeed your babies as long as possible
- avoiding stress
- Performing a breast examination for breast cancer risk before using postmenopausal hormones or using birth control pills provides early detection of breast cancer and reduces the possible risk of breast cancer.
What causes breast cancer? Symptoms, treatment and palpation
Techniques developed in the treatment of breast cancer
In breast cancer that is detected at an early stage, removing only the tumor part of the breast is sufficient for surgical treatment. In oncoplastic surgery, after the cancerous part of the breast is removed, the breast tissue is erected with aesthetic surgery techniques, giving it a better appearance than before. Lymph node involvement can be understood by finding and removing the lymph node with sentinel lymph node biopsy, as well as sentinel lymph node biopsy.
Thus, unnecessary removal of axillary lymph nodes is prevented and the development of arm edema, which bothers patients after surgery, is prevented. In patients who are not suitable for oncoplastic surgery, breast tissue and axillary lymph nodes are removed. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy are planned according to the pathological examination after surgery.
Pay attention to the palpable hardness of the breast
The main symptoms of insidiously progressing breast cancer are:
- palpable breast stiffness
- bloody discharge from the nipple,
- Redness, swelling and deformity of the breast skin,
- There may be findings such as enlargement of the armpit lymph nodes.
Breast cancer treatment guide: Which is the most successful treatment method?